by j. brotherlove
Sovo asked “a diverse group of gay Atlantans to gaze into their crystal balls and predict what lies ahead in 2008”. Here’s my gaze:
- A Democrat will win the presidential race, albeit narrowly and with unprecedented scandal and mudslinging.
- Minority LGBT communities (lesbian, African American, transgender, Latino, etc.) will rely less on mainstream media to report on their stories and take greater advantage of the web’s ability to connect and project their experiences via blogs, social networks, and community-driven news sites.
- Britney Spears will pull it together.
- Despite differing racial, economic and gender makeup, Atlanta LGBT activists begin to collaborate to combat issues affecting and infecting us including racial tension, news coverage, religious righteousness and hate crimes.
My New Year’s resolution:
- I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions, but a primary goal is to complete my first novel and have it published in 2008.
Read the rest of the predictions and resolutions from everyone from Alexandria Martin, State Rep. Karla Drenner and Officer Darlene Harris to Ruby Redd, Rev. Kathi Martin, and Baton Bob.
All very good words for 2008! I find them to be extremely encouraging!! Can you pass on some GOOD news websites specifically that target the community? Thanks!
A man with many good dreams of hope for 2008! I don’t know about the minority lgbt communities, its hard finding a blog that is even updated on “real” news daily or with interactive forums from my standpoint, but, who knows, that might change. And, hopefully not in Atlanta will ALL gays stand up for the issues that affect us all, although, I won’t hold my breath on that one, as I think the lgbt communities have more issues and hangups when it comes to race, class and gender than the so called mainstream folks.
Your novel, do we get a peek or hint at what its about??? Much success to you on this venture!!
@Aaron Can you hold on for a moment? I’ll cobble something together.
@Jeff I understand your apprehension with holding your breath (boy, do I understand!) But we have to keep pushing forward and hoping for better.
As for the novel… Yes, my readers may get a peek.
Share your love:
The ability to comment on this site is a privilege; not a right. Inflammatory, off-topic and ignorant comments will be removed. Basic XHTML is permitted (if you don't know what that means, stick to plain text).